Keeping up to date

Presented by Jim Linn

Whether you are new to the industry or a veteran, there are areas regarding your licensing and contracting that need to be monitored.

1.     Most insurance licenses are valid for 2-3 years depending on the state.  If you cannot locate your printed copy, you can go to your state’s insurance department website and look yourself up or go to

2.     CE credits:  Don’t forget to get your CE credits done in advance of your renewal.  Too many times we get calls from agents that need their CE completed by the end of the week or even the next day.  There are several online options to help complete your CE and typically you can find courses or seminars offered to earn them as well. 

3.     Anti-Money Laundering (AML):  Depending on the carrier, it is required anywhere from 1-3 years.  Some carriers offer their own specific AML or require their own training program.  In general, most carriers accept AML training completed through LIMRA.  Keep in mind that they no longer offer a printed certificate of completion so you may need to take a screen shot as proof of completion.

4.     E&O Insurance:  renews annually and is required by most carriers.  If we do not have a current E&O certificate on file, it may hinder your contracting process. 

5.     Change of Address:  In most states you have 30 days to notify the insurance department of your change in address.  The easiest way to make this update is by going to  You can update multiple states at one time if licensed in several states. 

By making sure these areas are up to date, you will not only keep your license in good standing, but also help in expediting any carrier contracting requirements.

Posted in Annuities, Life Insurance, Long Term Care and Disability Insurance and tagged , , , , , .